Wednesday, December 20, 2006

French Quarter Gallery in Longmont Colorado

Our Gallery opened this year to rave reviews from all. It's one thing to have a successfully Gallery but when the work that hangs on the wall is your own it makes it that much nicer. We opened with several giclees from my series "Sketches of New Orleans". We also showed images from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. It was important for me to include both together because I wanted to show the ups and downs of my torrid relationship with New Orleans. On one wall you see the "Wrought Iron Blues" with all of its rich blue moonlight and silhouettes of the wrought iron railings. You wonder what may have happened over the years on that same balcony. Just across the room you see images from the Lower 9th Ward just after the storm. A house sits on top of an overturned pickup truck in the middle of what was once a lively old neighborhood full of history. I love that city and if this showing does nothing else I hope that it does justice to the city and to the people. Although I haven't been able to return, I am a New Orleanean at heart. That city gets inside of you like a virus and it spreads throughout your being. Just because we don't live there anymore doesn't mean that I can't fight the good fight and spread a little New Orleans culture.

While I sit in the coffee shop next to my gallery. I look out the window and watch the blizzard that started this morning and is expected to drop 12 inches of snow on us by tomorrow. I can't help but feel luck and blessed that I grew up in the Crescent City and that she found it in her heart to inject herself into my soul.

Tim :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home