Friday, April 28, 2006

Still got that Magic


I sit here in PJ's coffee shop in New Orleans. There's a warm rain falling and it's about 80 degrees outside. As the rain falls and composes it's own hip jazz tune on sidewalk outside I kind of get into the groove and forget everything. I forget about the previous 3 years. I forget about the time that we spent caring for my sick parents. I forget about the storm. I forget about my lifeline, Kristin , 1400 miles away. I forget about my passions Kindal, Ben and Kiley keeping Kristin company while I make the final preparations to sell my house here in the crescent city.

I forget all of the important things for a few seconds and then I snap back into reality. That moment defines New Orleans for me. It's an escape. Everyone that makes groceries in New Orleans knows how to escape, even for a few seconds. That's why out of towners love us. They don't know how to do that. They don't know how to find a few minutes in the raindrops hitting the hot concrete. They don't know how to get caught up in the fantasies of a swingin' jazz tune.
They don't know how to get caught in a daydream when a waitress innocently call's you darlin'.

The funny thing is that when I snap back into reality I realize that I've just sold my house. I sold the last real tie that I have to New Orleans. But then I realize that's not true. The ties are still there. Living in New Orleans and then leaving is kind of like dying and then coming back to life.
You get a glimpse of the other side and then come back to reality to live your life. I died and went to heaven in the crescent City. I glimpsed the Garden of Eden and learned how to daydream and to find the magic in the raindrops. When I leave and go to Colorado I will have something that almost all people that don't live in New Orleans are looking for.

I still have a little bit of that Magic !!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home